Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Making connections


Oh, what a different a month makes.

On the last day of February, we were all going about our everyday business. Going to work. Eating at restaurants. Rooting for our favorite sports teams.

Now it's the last day of March, and thanks to the coronavirus, we're all holed up in our homes.

So how are you doing? Are you staying healthy? Are you staying sane?

I'm definitely the former, though how long I can maintain the latter remains to be seen.

I kid, I kid. Actually, I'm staying quite busy and that's because I still have my day job. The company I work for has been deemed an essential business, but this is Arizona, so golf courses and nail salons are considered essential businesses as well. I am, however, working from home.

I won't lie. I love working from home. It almost makes up for not being able to go out to restaurants or movies.

I love sleeping in a little later. I love not having to deal with crazy drivers. I love taking puppy breaks throughout the day. And I love going for walks with my family at the end of the day.


This little girl needs some lovin'.

It's the kind of simple, laid-back lifestyle I've always hoped I'd have if (when?) I'm finally able to write full-time.

Unfortunately, it looks like that last part might be delayed a while. Due to the pandemic, schools and community theaters are cancelling their productions left and right, and every playwright I know has seen their royalties go to zero.

I'm going to be fine. But I feel bad for the drama teachers and student actors who've been working so hard on their shows--shows which may never see the light of day.

So I was glad when Pioneer Drama Service approached me this week about participating in a new program. It's called Playwright Connect, and it's a way for Pioneer to link up drama teachers with the author of their cancelled spring show. As playwrights, we're here to help the show go on.

Want us to watch a virtual performance of your show? We can do that! Want us to offer feedback new scenes your students wrote? We can do that too! Or we can hold an online Q&A with your cast and crew. It's all up to you!

Interested? Email Pioneer at connect@pioneerdrama.com or give them a call at 800-333-7262 (but note their new limited hours on their website). Their staff will be happy to help you figure out what makes the most sense for you.

I'm really excited to be a part of this new program. I hope you'll take us up on it.

Yes, we'll get through these difficult times. But it will be a whole lot easier if we do it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment