Friday, May 10, 2013

My 2nd year sales


I've always loved May. The end of the school year. The warming weather. The budding trees.

But since my first play was published two years ago, I've got one more reason to love this month: my annual royalty check from Pioneer Drama Service.

This year's check was the first one to include sales from Long Tall Lester, which came out last May. It looks to be a minor hit. In its first year, the western comedy received 15 productions. Not too surprisingly, nearly all of these productions were done west of the Mississippi (or, if you're in Canada, west of Hudson Bay).

Sadly, The _urloined Letter dropped significantly in popularity. Last year, it received just 4 productions compared to 8 in its first year. I hope that's not a sign of things to come. Nick Bullitt and Trouble Maecker deserve better!

In any case, my plays have now been produced in 20 states and one Canadian province. The best part of all this is seeing photos from the productions themselves. The kids pour everything they've got into the plays, and it shows--in the sets, in the costumes, in the pride beaming from every face.

I can't wait to see what next year brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment